Having a whole bunch of food, food product and preservative allergies means cooking from scratch at home. Since we all lead busy lives, it's nice to have a go-to recipe for the main course of dinner. In our house, my blackened chicken recipe is one of them!
Matt likes to dip his in ketchup. I'll confess that it's actually a tasty addition ;-)
Recipe: Blackened Chicken
- a baking dish (I used a square glass dish and covered it with foil)
- 2 chicken breasts
- canola oil (you could also use any other neutral tasting light oil)
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
What to do:
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Mix together all spices
- After rinsing and patting the chicken dry, rub the TOP part of the chicken breasts with the spices
- Heat a skillet on high and put in just enough oil that the bottom of the pan is coated
- When the skillet is hot, place the chicken spice side down - and jiggle a couple times to make sure they don't stick.
- Cook for 4 minutes, jiggling a couple more times throughout the 4 minutes
- While they're cooking, line your baking dish with foil and lightly coat with olive oil
- When the chicken is nice and blackened, transfer spice side up into the baking dish
- Bake at 375 for 35 minutes or until no longer pink.