Within the last couple weeks, I got a tweet from twitter follower @markoo44 who is also a fellow eczema sufferer. He asked me if I knew of the benefits of sarsaparilla and said that it's cleared up his eczema!
After hearing this, I started to do some research and it sounds like this woody vine with red berries is really something special.
This plant lives in the Caribbean as well as Central and South America. The root of the sarsaparilla plant is where all of the benefits lie. People have been using it for hundreds of years to treat all sorts of issues:
- skin problems
- digestive issues
Pretty impressive, right? While there haven't been any toxicity issues, pregnancy/lactation issues or warnings documented with sarsaparilla, unusually high doses have a chance of being harmful which could result in GI irritation. Everything in moderation!
The benefits I've looked into are as follows:
- Detoxifies the blood
- Acts as a diuretic, causing one to urinate more often, thus detoxifying the kidneys
- Increases the excretion of uric acid which helps treat urinary tract infections
- Acts as a diaphoretic which causes one to sweat more and cleanses the skin. Sarsaparilla binds with toxins and releases them from the body through sweat.
- Contains vitamins A, B-complex, C and D
- Contains iron, manganese, sodium, silicon, sulfur, copper, zinc and iodine
So, overall... it seems like this plant really purifies the body from the inside out! It is said to have a nice scent and a spicy sweet taste, which doesn't sound so bad to me.
I think I might try to track some down and see if I see any benefits!