Just a quick update on my first couple of days of oil pulling! I did it this morning as Selina from My Eczema Skincare Blog advised. I shoved the spoonful of coconut oil in my mouth before hopping in the shower and spit it out after I was done doing my hair. I lasted 18.5 minutes instead of the full 20, but I feel like that was good for a first timer :-)
Here are my thoughts after these first two days:
- I still hate the first minute of waiting for the oil to melt.
- It tastes like having a non-meaty bunch of fat in your mouth until it melts and then it turns into a tasteless liquid.
- Don't tilt your head back if you're oil pulling in the shower. You'll accidentally swallow some which you're not supposed to do.
- Let your jaw have little breaks and just hold the oil in your mouth for a few seconds instead of swishing it around so your jaw isn't sore all day long.
- Where do people who do this on the regular spit the oil? You're not supposed to spit it down your drains because coconut oil hardens at room temperature and would clog your pipes.
- I feel wasteful spitting it into a plastic cup and throwing it away.
- After the 2nd day, I actually kinda like the after taste.
- I like how it feels like it's moisturizing my lips.
- My teeth feel smooth afterward.
- I really want to see some teeth whitening action which is one of the supposed benefits.
- If it whitens my teeth, I'm totally doing this semi-regularly.