I don't know if you've noticed, but there's quite the buzz going on in the organic lifestyle world about oil pulling.
If you're going "oil whaa?" like I was when my hunny sent me a link about it recently, I'll explain:
Oil pulling is said to be a traditional folk or Ayurvedic practice. Oil pulling means taking about one tablespoon of organic sesame, coconut or sunflower oil and putting it in your mouth. Ultimately, you swish it around inside your mouth for twenty minutes, getting it in all the nooks and crannies. The oil is said to remove the bacteria that create cavities. Not only this, but oil pulling is said to have a whole host of other health benefits including clear skin, relief from sinus congestion and detoxifying the body.
Check out the rest of the possible advantages:
- Strengthening of teeth, gums and jaw
- Whitening of teeth
- Oral problem prevention—cavities and gingivitis
- Prevention of bad breath
- Relief of migraines and headaches
- Reduction of inflammation of arthritis
- Normal kidney function support
- Potential improved vision
- Relief from sinus congestion
- Increase in energy
- Clear skin
- Regulated menstrual cycles
- Helps detoxify the body of harmful metals and organisms
- Reduced hangover symptoms
- Helps with better sleep quality/reducing insomnia
And Dr. Edward F. Group III reports the following benefits:
- Overall strengthening of the teeth and gums and jaws.
- Prevention of diseases of the gums and mouth, such as cavities and gingivitis.
- Prevention of overall tooth decay
- Prevention for bad breath
- Potential holistic remedy for bleeding gums
- Prevention of dryness of the lips, mouth and throat.
- Possible holistic treatment for TMJ and general soreness in the jaw area.
The benefits oil pulling touts seem really impressive and too good to be true... I may try it just to try it and see what happens, though!