For the last couple years or so, my hunny and I have been cooking our popcorn on the stovetop - just in a pot with some extra virgin olive oil. Everybody loves it (even when it's stale, oddly enough). About a month ago, he decided to put a sugary twist on his perfected recipe. It took a number of different batches, but we are very proud to announce that it's DONE and ready to be shared!
- rubber spatula
- 3/4 cup yellow corn
- oven mitts
- large pot w/ cover
- 3 heaping Tablespoons light brown sugar
- extra virgin olive oil (enough to cover the bottom of the pot and a tad more)
We figured out how much popcorn to use by employing this trick: before you begin, cover the bottom of the pot with kernels. Then put the kernels in a measuring cup to see how much you use. For this sugary recipe it is best to back off a little bit on the popcorn quantity otherwise you end up with a burnt mess. So if you could use 7/8ths cup, use 6/8 (3/4) instead. We have had the best luck keeping it at a constant Medium High temp from start to finish.
- After you've poured enough oil to cover the bottom of the pot, add just a smidge more
- Turn the heat to medium/high and drop in a few kernels. Cover.
- Remove pot from heat after the kernels have popped (do NOT change the setting for the burner)
- Quickly add brown sugar and stir with rubber spatula (BE CAREFUL BUT MOVE QUICKLY)
- Distribute sugar evenly and add the remaining popcorn kernels
- Slosh around everything inside the pot to coat the popcorn evenly and then stir.
- Cover and return to the heat. (It will not cook as rapidly as it would without the sugar, so don't be tempted to crank the heat up.)
- As soon as you smell the slightest smell of burning, pull the pot off the heat, shake, and REMOVE THE COVER.
- Popcorn will continue to pop (be careful!) so if it's already burnt at this point, things will just get worse. Get it out of the pot ASAP!
- Let cool.
- Eat til you pop!
It gets all crunchy kinda like Cracker Jack. SO yummy. Check out the action from one of our test batches:
Making olive oil and brown sugar popcorn... YUMMMM https://t.co/b9ZT3pocyu
— The Allergista (@theallergista) July 7, 2013