I don't know about you, but because of my eczema (allergic contact dermatitis), I have had some reeeeeally annoying nights where I couldn't fall asleep because my itchy skin was so aggravating. Aside from taking Xyzal, a medication which gets rid of the itchy feeling, what else can you do?
Here are some tips:
- Make your bed super comfy with blankets, pillows (maybe buy a new pillow), etc. Whatever is most comfortable for YOU.
- Cut your nails reeeally short, as to prevent your nails doing more damage on your skin when you finally sleep. This will help you sleep better in the long run.
- Take a shower in lukewarm water and cover your body in a good quality cream. (get my fav products here)
- Use a mild soap as opposed to something harsh (you can see what I use here).
- Wear 100% cotton pajamas - preferably ones that tie at the bottom (I found some at H&M, but they don't have an online store and I haven't been able to find any others. It's an easy fix if you can sew!)
- Buy this Comfymitt shirt. It has saved me SO MUCH sleep. I can wake myself up scratching if I don't wear this shirt. I LOVE IT.
- Wrap the problem area in 100% cotton gauze
- Meditate for 20 minutes before bed. Start off with 5 minutes, then add 5 more, etc.
- Stretch before bed
- Download a sleep sounds app. There's a bunch of them. You can even mix your own sounds - rain, crickets, thunder, etc.
- Turn a fan on in the room if you don't like sleep sound apps. The humming sounds lulls many people to sleep (me included).
- Stash some natural lavender potpourri in your room. Lavender is amazing for relaxation.
- While you're laying down in bed... starting at the top of your head and going down to your toes, relax each part of your body one part at a time. Start with the eyes, mouth, neck, and work your way down.
- Count to 100. Breathe in with the first number, out with the next, repeat.
...I think that's all I've got for now!
If you're looking for a great body cream, ointment or allergy product, download my free product guide:
*this post contains an affiliate link*