Mapo Tofu is typically kinda soupy and tofu cooked in this way is pretty delicate. I had a feeling that my hunny and I would want a little more substance. I added some red bell pepper and snow peas which filled it out nicely. The dish had a nice spicy sauce with the right amount of thickness. I mixed it in with some white rice and loved it! It was filling, but nice and light. Great for summer!
Mapo Tofu is a widely known Szechuan recipe that translates to "pockmarked grandmother bean curd". It's said that it's named after the woman who created the dish.
I got this recipe from about.com and changed a few things including chicken instead of ground pork and I used Coriander & Ginger Paste instead of chili bean paste. I couldn't find any chili bean paste at the store :-/
With my lactose intolerance and avoiding wheat due to the nickel content, Asian food is becoming a staple to me. It's a good thing I've always loved it!
Ingredients for Marinade:
- 1 1/2 Tbsp corn starch
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 chicken breast - diced
- 12 oz firm tofu
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- handful of snow peas, sliced at an angle
- 3 scallions
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp Tikka Paste - coriander & ginger
- 3 Tbsp chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
(I also threw in some steamed broccoli after the fact because I loooove broccoli)
- Mix marinade ingredients. Marinate chicken for about 20 minutes
- Gently squeeze the water out of the tofu and cut the tofu (bean curd) into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Drop the cubes into boiling water for 3 minutes
- Remove tofu from water and drain
- Chop the scallions
- Heat wok or skillet and add oil(s). When the oil is ready, add the chicken and cook until chicken is halfway done.
- Add the red pepper and snow peas and cook until the chicken is ALMOST done.
- Add the salt and stir. Add the paste, chicken broth, tofu and scallions.
- Turn down the heat and cook for 4 minutes.
- While cooking, mix cornstarch, water and soy sauce together. Add to the rest of the ingredients and stir.
- Serve with freshly ground pepper and enjoy!