French Toast is one of my faaavorite breakfast dishes. Top with some freshly sliced strawberries and YUM YUM...
Here's a lactose-free version I came up with a couple weeks ago!
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup sweetened almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (go organic if you can)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 6 slices of bread (containing no whey, lactose or dairy products)
- salt to taste
- oil for the pan
- Pure maple syrup or whatever you want to top the french toast with
- Heat a large pan on the stove - medium heat. We actually use a griddle.
- Turn the oven to "warm" and place a pan covered in tinfoil on the middle rack
- Combine all ingredients (except oil) in a bowl and whisk until frothy (see photo below)
- Put a thin coat of oil on the pan. You may need to re-apply halfway through. Tip: use a brush to create an even coat
- Quickly dip one piece of bread into the mixture, making sure all sides of the bread are covered
- Drop the bread slice into the heated pan for about 5 minutes on each side and continue with the remaining pieces of bread. Watch them closely, though, and make sure neither side is getting too brown.
- As each piece is finished, place the french toast in the oven to stay warm
Here's some of that frothy mixing action I spoke of:
After all the pieces are done, drizzle with some pure maple syrup and enjoy!