I'm Vitamin D Deficient!
This could be the cause for:
- my horrible allergic dermatitis
- my digestion problems
- the crazy foot cramps I get
- why I get so tired sometimes. I can easily sleep for 12 hours straight. Other times I'm really hyper, though, so who knows if this is related.
- my atrocious memory
- poor concentration
- and even my mood. It can cause that seasonal depression disorder and PMS. Interesting!
Other symptoms & health risks of Vitamin D Deficiency are:
- severe asthma in younger kids
- cognitive impairment in older adults
- 17 varieties of cancer
- birth defects
- weak bones
- muscle pains
- increased risk of death due to cardiovascular disease
- weight gain
- bladder problems
- high blood pressure
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Periodontal Disease
- Atopic Dermatitis (what my Allergist now thinks I may have. Pretty much means your skin loses its protective barrier)
I mean, seriously? Come on.
So, the allergist did this test called VITAMIN D-25 HYDROXY. It's a blood test. She tested for a couple vitamins, gluten, electrolytes and Lactose Intolerance. The one thing that came back was my Vitamin D level. It's supposed to be between 32 and 100, but mine is an 11. I read a story about a lady today who said her level was down to an 8 and she nearly died. No bueno! So, my doctor prescribed me some super mega Vitamin D pills and some normal Vitamin D aaand some Calcium. After 10 weeks, I go off the super mega Vitamin pills. Here's what my routine is going to be:
- Vitamin D: 50,000 IU's once a week
- Vitamin D: 1000 IU's daily (except on the day when I take the mega one)
- Calcium Citrate: 300 mg three x's per day
The Calcium is necessary because having low Vitamin D affects your body's ability to absorb Calcium and your bones NEED Calcium. Especially women. I read this story online about a guy whose Vitamin D and Calcium levels were so low that his rib cage bones were getting soft. They got so soft that they started to change shape due to the (normal) pressure of his body being on its side while he was sleeping in bed. Ugh. Can you imagine?
I'm so interested to see how differently I feel! And most of all.... I wonder if this will help my allergies? It has the potential, but from what I know, it's not guaranteed. I'm not letting myself get too excited, but I figure if my D level is that low, I should feel SOMETHING when I'm taking a zillion milligrams a week, right? Probably?
I'll be posting more on this!