When my skin freaks out, it can do a variety of things...
get splotchy (left of the injection marks):
or get dry and patchy:
Not fun, right? It can be SO uncomfortable.
Here's what I do when my eczema acts up:
- only bathe / wash hands in cool or room temperature water
- drink a lot of water
- wash skin with a mild bar soap - no fragrances and no antibacterial soaps
- no perfume on the area
- no perfume-y lotions at all - use Cerave. It's a cream, not a lotion
- but if your skin needs to dry out because your skin is oozey (possibly from scratching blisters), don't slather any lotion or cream on it
- wear cotton gloves while sleeping to cut down on scratching
- stay out of pools and saunas
- sleep / meditate
- avoid excessive sun exposure
I have prescribed steroid ointment in case things get to be too bothersome (desoximetasone cream usp .25%). If you find that you can't get through the night because of your itching, they CAN prescribe you a pill (Xyzal) for itching. I would say that's a last resort, though.